The argument: Coconut oil is extremely high in saturated fat — about 50 percent more than butter, even. But despite that saturated fat is known to raise cholesterol levels, linked with heart disease risk, proponents believe that some saturated fats in coconut oil (called medium-chain triglycerides) are less harmful and may actually raise levels of beneficial HDL cholesterol.
October 31, 2018 If you search for information about coconut oil online, you'll see it's one of the best things you can put in your body. Or one of the worst. "Some people say it's the best thing since sliced bread. Other people say it's poison," says Dr. Donald Hensrud, a nutrition expert and author of The Mayo Clinic Diet Book.
Vivien Williams Mayo Clinic Minute: Why coconut oil is bad for your heart June 28, 2017 You may have heard the claims that coconut oil is good for your health. A quick internet search reveals articles that recommend coconut oil for everything from boosting memory to improving heart health.
March 22, 2022 / Diet, Food & Fitness Is Coconut Oil Healthy? Coconut oil is a high-fat, high-calorie product that raises some heart health concerns Coconut oil sounds like something that should be healthy, right? The raw white meat within the stone fruit offers nutrients, antioxidants and fiber, after all.
- Mayo Clinic Minute: Why coconut oil is bad for your heartYouTube
- Mayo Clinic Minute: Coconut oil — perfect, poison or somewhere in between?YouTube
- Coconut Oil : Mayo Clinic FindingsYouTube
- Mayo Clinic Minute: 5 tips for cooking with healthier oilsYouTube
Saturated fats can add up quickly in foods that combine ingredients. In U.S. diets, the most common sources of saturated fats are sandwiches, burgers, tacos and burritos — foods that usually combine meat and dairy products.
1. May encourage fat burning Coconut oil is a rich source of medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), a type of saturated fat. In general, saturated fats are divided into three subgroups, each of...